Friday, March 21, 2014

The Burn (first review by Tonya Cozad)


BURN
by Linda Howard

Publisher: Ballantine Books; Reprint edition 
(August 31, 2010)  
Language: English 
ISBN-10: 0345486579 
ISBN-13: 978-0345486578



Linda Howard is one of the writers that I enjoy reading. Her book, The Burn, is one of her latest ones that I just finished. I actually bought it several months ago, and started the prologue, only to put it down and walk away. I just wasn’t getting into it then. However, this last week, I had some extra time, so I picked it up again, and started it.

The book starts really differently than her normal books. I discovered that the prologue is actually a chapter midway through. The first chapter starts several years before, and the book works its way to the present. The setting is about a young lady who wins the lottery. A Very Large Lottery, and how she not only deals with all that money, but what happens to friends, family, and her life.

The second part deals with being a wealthy woman who goes on a charity cruise with her new friend. Only her friend doesn’t make it, due to a very specific reason, and what is supposed to have been enjoyable cruise becomes a nightmare-hostages, international intrigue, and yes, love (with Linda’s good love scenes) and death!

It was a very solid read. I enjoyed it-I certainly enjoyed the young lady who is named Jennifer. She has my sense of woman-ness (if that’s a word), and my sense of outrage with a mouth to go with it! I would rate this as a #4. I certainly had to put it down for a while, but I definitely wanted to come back.


TL Cozad


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Tell us what you're reading, what you want us to review, how we're doing, or just comment on the blog!